The seemingly never-ending breaches of data over the years has prompted most states to enact data privacy breach notification laws. But some states are ahead of others in this initiative. The below map from Imation shows which states are laying down the law when it comes to data breach notification laws and which states completely disregard the need for them.
Here is a breakdown of each state and the specific law that was enacted there. It’s hard to believe that, in 2012, four states remain without such legislation. While the U.S. Congress has enacted breach notification requirements in a number of Acts, data breach concerns are not limited to federal law.
- U.S. Policymakers Renew Focus on Data Breach Laws
- Yes, It’s Data Privacy Day
- Lessons Learned from Data Breaches
- Banks’ Inability to Protect Info “Almost Shocking”
- Citigroup Data Breach Worse Than Initially Reported; CIA Website Also Hacked